1. Typical of the grassland dwellers of the continent is the American antelope
, or pronghorn.
2. Of the millions who saw Haley’s comet in 1986, how many people will live l
ong enough to see it return in the twenty-first century.
3. Anthropologists have discovered that fear, happiness, sadness, and surprise
are universally reflected in facial expressions.
4. Because of its irritating effect on humans, the use of phenol as a general
antiseptic has been largely discontinued.
5. In group to remain in existence, a profit-making organization must, in the
long run, produce something consumers consider useful or desirable.
6. The greater the population there is in a locality, the greater the need the
re is for water, transportation, and disposal of refuse.
7. It is more difficult to write simply, directly, and effectively than to emp
loy flowery but vague expressions that only obscure one’s meaning.
8. With modern offices becoming more mechanized, designers are attempting to p
ersonalize them with warmer, less severe interiors.
9. The difference between libel and slander is that libel is printed while sla
nder is spoken.
10. The knee is the joints where the thigh bone meets the large bone of the lo
11. Acids are chemical compounds that, in water solution, have a sharp taste,
a corrosive action on metals, and the ability to turn certain blue vegetable d
12. Billie Holiday’s reputation as a great jazz-blues singer rests on her abi
lity to give emotional depth to her songs.
12. Billie Holiday’s作为一个爵士布鲁斯乐杰出歌手的名声建立在能够赋予歌曲感情深
13. Essentially, a theory is an abstract, symbolic representation of what is c
onceived to be reality.
14. Long before children are able to speak or understand a language, they comm
unicate through facial expressions and by making noises.
15. Thanks to modern irrigation, crops now grow abundantly in areas where once
nothing but cacti and sagebrush could live.
16. The development of mechanical timepieces spurred the search for more accur
ate sundials with which to regulate them.
17. Anthropology is a science in that anthropologists use a rigorous set of me
thods and techniques to do*英语易网*ent observations that can be checked by ot
18. Fungi are important in the process of decay, which returns ingredients to
the soil, enhances soil fertility, and decomposes animal debris.
19. When it is struck, a tuning fork produces an almost pure tone, retaining i
ts pitch over a long period of time.
20. Although pecans are most plentiful in the southeastern part of the United
States, they are found as far north as Ohio and Illinois.
21. Eliminating problems by transferring the blame to others is often called s
22. The chief foods eaten in any country depend largely on what grows best in
its climate and soil.
23. Over a very large number of trials, the probability of an event’s occurri
ng is equal to the probability that it will not occur.
24. Most substance contract when they freeze so that the density of a substanc